Being mobile helps prevents three serious hospital complications, such as delirium, functional decline and falls. During your hospital stay, our healthcare team will encourage you to stay active and mobile.
- If you require assistance to get out of bed, use the washroom or to change positions; please use your call bell beside your bed. A member of your healthcare team will answer your call and provide help.
While in the hospital, you can reduce your risk of falling by doing the following:
- Call for assistance before your move, especially at night.
- Share any fears or concerns about falling with your healthcare team.
- If you feel dizzy, weak, unsteady or light-headed, sit down and call for help.
- Get up slowly after eating, lying down or resting.
- Wear proper footwear: Non-slip, well-fitting and supportive shoes such as running shoes or slippers with heel support and treads.
- Wear glasses and/or hearing aids if needed.
- Take medications as prescribed.
- Use recommended walking aids and supports.
- Ensure clothing (such as pants, shirts and housecoats) are not too long-avoid tripping hazards.
- Participate in physiotherapy exercises to strengthen your muscles and balance.
- Eat a healthy, regular diet.