Patients referred for palliative care are those suffering from incurable and/or life-limiting illnesses. The goal is to provide pain and symptom management to maximize quality of life.
We endeavor to enhance the final stages of life for our patients through a compassionate and dignified approach to care. We encourage families to be involved in the decisions around physical, emotional and spiritual care, giving them an opportunity to prepare for the death of a loved one.
- Pain control in consultation with physicians
- Emotional preparation for death
- Grief counselling
- Family support
- Collaborative multi-disciplinary support
- Trained volunteers and staff can be present with patients to support families.
- Access to a family suite to allow family to stay on site with their loved one
- Access to Palliative Care Volunteers from the Hospital Auxiliary who have had specialized training. To assist in meeting the needs of clients and families living with a life threatening illness.
DRDH would like to extend their gratitude to the Carr Family, the Ottawa Regional Cancer Foundation, the Deep River & District Hospital Auxiliary and Foundation, as well as members of the community for their generous support in funding the palliative care suite.
Links to Available ResourcesClick here to access the DRDH Foundation website
Click here to access the DRDH Auxiliary page.
Click here to access the Health Canada (Palliative Care and End of Life Care) website
Click here to access the Canadian Hospice Palliative Care Association website
.Click here to access the Champlain Hospice Palliative Care Program website